Sunday, November 8, 2009

Jennifer Burns on Ayn Rand - two more podcasts

Podcaster Chris Gondek did one interview with Professor Jennifer Burns about Ayn Rand whose biography she has written under the title Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right. This one interview he edited to fit each on of two of his podcasts, The Biography Podcast (feed) and The Invisible Hand (feed).

I would have loved to hear the unedited interview, or at least the extended version that contained all the material for both podcasts. As it went now, I heard one and was excited about Gondek's announcement by the end that there was yet another interview on the other. Then I listened to the other and heard so much twice that I can't tell in hindsight what is fundamentally different between the two. So, listen to either one and choose depending upon the touch you'd like to get.

The Biography Podcast is, obviously, about biographies and has Burns talk about Rand's life, career and development. The Invisible Hand is a podcast about 'business, economics and strategy' and therefore puts the emphasis on Rand's political thought. Both versions start however with a questions about Rand's childhood and both interviews close with the question of what Rand would have thought was her legacy today. Although these are two professional, polished and to the point productions, my personal preference goes to the more raw and less balanced interview Burns gave at New Books In History.

More Jennifer Burns:
Jennifer Burns about Ayn Rand - NBIH,
History 7b - history podcast review,
American Civil Rights Movement,
Whittaker Chambers,
Scopes Trial.

2 comments:

Chris Gondek said...

Anne,

Thanks for the review. There is a lot of similarity between the shows, mainly because there isn't a lot of crossover between the audiences. It's the first time I've done one book for both shows, and it's tricky to try to get two 20+ minute shows out of one interview without some repetition. Still, it was a learning experience and hopefully, should I do it again, I'll be more successful.

One thing I wish I could have put in was a brief discussion Jennifer and I had after the show about her reasons for writing the book. However, it wasn't part of the official interview and putting it in would have sounded awkward.

Waiting hopefully for you to review the shows, as well as the shows I do for Harvard, Cal, MIT and Stanford.
-Chris Gondek

Anne the Man said...

Hi Chris,

thanks for commenting. I'd love to review more of your podcasts. You can help me finding them by sending a few links

Anne