Thursday, September 2, 2010

History of Korea - The Korea Society Podcast

In the past weeks I have found a number of podcasts addressing the history of a certain nation state. Today I will start with Korean History and in the coming days I will review those of Chinese and Japanese history.

The podcast by the Korea Society is not a history podcast per se (feed). It offers recordings of lectures held by or for The Korea Society addressing any issue related to Korea. But if you look down the feed you will find many address history in one way or another. I have listened to a two part issue containing a three hour lecture by Dr. Charles Armstrong of Columbia University. Armstrong runs through the entire political history of Korea, from its earliest mention to the modern day within these three hours.

Further down the feed and next on my list is another double feature. Two hours titled The origins of Koreans and their culture. The first lectures have taught how Korea has almost through its entire history been thoroughly embedded within China, the Chinese Empire and Chinese culture. I have also learned that Koreans have their own and distinctive language and have always been able to maintain a (granted) significant measure of independence. It was said by Dr. Armstrong the Koreans had a very distinct own culture and I hope to learn more in these two other lectures.

No comments: