Friday, September 11, 2009

The podcast reviewers

When I started reviewing podcasts, two and a half years ago, I think I was the only one. There may have been an abandoned blog that contained an insignificant number of reviews, but that was all. By now there are many more, maybe even more than I actually know of. So here is a list of where you can go.

Blogs:
The Podcast Place. A blog that started in December 2008 and tries to review a couple of podcasts per week from all genres.
Daily Podcast Reviews. Is not exactly a daily blog, but every now and then there is a new podcast review. Among the reviewed podcasts are quite a number of the Quick and Dirty series, best known from the podcast Grammar Girl.
DIY Scholar. My favorite among these blogs and a recurring source of inspiration is the Do It Yourself Scholar. She reviews many educational podcasts as well as videos, blogs and other free academic content.
Baxter Wood. The re-education of Baxter Wood is the blog of a 62 year old truck driver who takes on academic podcast series and reports about them without links. But he is quite exact in how to google the content.
Marje's favorite history podcasts. A near complete source for history podcast reviews compiled in a bookmarking tool. Marje helped me discover new history podcasts, but it seems, I have helped Marje as well.
Open Culture. The free culture blog by Dan Colman, associate dean of Stanford, which used to bring more podcast reviews than it does today. These days there are more general culture links and many, many videos.

Podcasts:
Edgy Reviews (feed). A weekly podcast that rates a wide variety of podcasts in sets of three.
Podwatch (feed). An Australian podcast review show that has recently been revived.
Historyzine (feed). A history podcast that also reviews history podcasts.
Forgotten Classics (feed). A literature podcast that opens every episode with one or several podcast reviews in various genres.

6 comments:

Jerm said...

This is such a great list. Thanks for including my blog. (Daily Podcast Reviews)

Anne the Man said...

Of course. Let's try to keep the list updated.
Anne

Julie D. said...

I meant to thank you for including me when I first read this ... but better late than never, I hope!

Anne the Man said...

No problem. Every comment is welcome. Feel free to comment back as far as you want. Better late than never, indeed.
Besides, your podcast is a great source for reviews. Your place in the list is well deserved.

Anne

podcast_review said...

Hi Anne,

it's so amazing to have discovered your site. I must have started my own podcast review site a few days after you posted this list. It must have been something in the air. Anyway, it warms my heart to know that someone else is so passionate about listening to *new* material. Podcasts are art being created in front of our eyes.

Looking forward to going through your entire site :-) blessings.

Gary

Anne the Man said...

Good to have you around Gary, so far the podcasters outnumber the reviewers by the thousands. Let me add your blog to this list.
Until I do, leave a URL in the comments

Anne