Friday, September 3, 2010

China History Podcast - Laszlo Montgomery

In the past weeks I have found a number of podcasts addressing the history of a certain nation state.Yesterday I wrote about a podcast giving the history of Korea. Today I will write about the China History Podcast by Laszlo Montgomery. Coming up are podcasts about the history of Japan and an issue about the history of Pakistan. I am also, with great interest, following a lecture course about the history of Iran, which I have mentioned several times before.

Laszlo Montgomery's podcast I found on iTunes while looking for national histories. The China History Podcast brings every week a story from Chinese history told by Montgomery in a very agreeable fashion (feed). It is the way of many history podcasters: to simply sit down in front of the microphone and read out the script you have for this program. And Montgomery knows to read well, so it works. The one slightly exceptional addition he has made so far is that he has added more than one picture to the show. So while you listen it serves to take a peek at your iPod's screen and see various pictures pass by. This is not yet an enhanced show in the sense that you can skip from section to section., but I have a feeling it may develop into this, or into a vodcast, as the podcast Europe from its Origins did.

The latest issue is a question and answers section which, I guess before listening, Montgomery has learned from History according to Bob. It would also suggest he has built an audience already, big enough to give ample feedback. It sure is a podcast that deserves a wide audience.

3 comments:

Julie D. said...

I have been listening to this one also and have found it delightfully informative. :-)

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me where can I find the script for this podcast?
Thank you:)

Anne the Man said...

I do not know whether there are transcripts. Contact Laszlo himself laszlo@chinahistorypodcast.com