Saturday, November 3, 2007

Environmental History

Exploring Environmental History is the podcast about human societies and the environment in the past. This is more than a history podcast, as, naturally, environmental history is an interdisciplinary field. This is already pointed out in the introductory issue. There is, also almost by necessity, another additional aspect that needs to be taken into account. I am not sure whether this will be admitted by the makers, but I distinguish their ideological stand. Their concern about the environment and inclination toward ecology politics.

I share the concern and the inclination, it is just I am very anxious about the effects of ideology. I do not want my history podcast to be colored by one side of issues. I think, when ideology is stronger than the inclination towards neutral fact finding, one is prone to slide into pseudo-science. In the end, ideology, thus, can draw you to shoot in your own foot. I am not saying the Environmental History podcast does that. I haven't heard enough even to begin draw conclusions, but I am alert in advance.

No comments: