Thursday, November 27, 2008

Chris Brogan - Meetings Podcast review

Spending a lot of mental energy on maintaining a blog and evaluating podcasts, draws my attention frequently towards technology in general and the rise of new media (social or not) in particular. I have not written a lot about it, because it is usually not relevant for the content of this blog. However, both my day-job and the maintenance of this blog make me very involved in the modern media and have me keep an eye on what's happening and what's hot.

A recurring name is Chris Brogan, who is a leading thinker and speaker in the world of social media and its application for business. Therefore, when he was interviewed on a podcast, I naturally tuned in and listened. He was on the Meetings Podcast, which is a business podcast that operates in the meetings and business events industry. (Meetings Podcast with Chris Brogan)

The hosts of the program and Chris Brogan are well acquainted to each other and that results in a very friendly atmosphere nearly closing out the listener. I had a feeling that maybe I missed out on a couple of inside jokes. Other than that, this was, in my opinion, a very typical business podcast: no very deep thoughts and theories but a lot of one-liners and indicative statements of what might be the trend.

See also:
Anne is a Man among Chris Brogan's 'Rockstars'

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne

Thank you for listening to our show. I am sorry you felt our business podcast has no deep thoughts. Maybe it is because our podcast is geared towards meeting planners and marketing communications executives that we normally cross paths with in our day to day work.

We also have weekly roundtables and then produce another weekly interview of an event or meeting related resource.

Chris and I are good friends from the past and he puts on several conferences himself so I decided to put him on the show. Maybe listen to one of our roundtable shows or maybe an interview of a speaker or web 2.0 resource might be more to your liking.

If any of your readers are interested in Meetings or Event related topics then they should check us out.

Again, thank you for listening and I do enjoy your blog to find new podcasts to listen to.

Thanks

Mike

Anne the Man said...

Hi Mike,

I am rather surprised you should take my remark that your podcast has 'no deep thoughts' so hard. I was making comparison to what other podcasts I generally review.

There is however, a personal component I should reveal. In one of the previous firms I was employed, I was accompanying one day the CEO, CTO and a couple of other upper management people to a business conference. One that conference one of the speakers engaged in such an inane, irrelevant, but entertaining lecture, I was shocked and appalled. Yet, all of my colleagues were having a great time and they acknowledged that, when I asked them about it. They also went on the emphasize the conference was great (I found it tedious and mediocre) and this particular lecture was an asset (where I found it an affront).

I used to work in academia before I switched to business and this should explain my higher intellectual standards. However, I have also learned a lesson that day: in a fast paced world such as modern business, one cannot afford to be a philosopher or empiricist and quietly sit down to explore all thousands angles to a subject. You need to identify trends, high-lights and act fast.

In short, I have learned to appreciate each realm needs to operate with different standards. Hence, I think a business podcast, should pride itself in being able to identify the trends and not be embarrassed about a certain superficiality that naturally comes with the field.

I am glad you value my blog and hope to revisit your podcast in the future. If there are issues you'd like to draw my attention to, do not hesitate to let me know

Anne