Wednesday, January 6, 2010

On writer's block and interaction

Are you following this blog? You are not alone. I guess there are about 500 daily of you - if I can freely calculate the daily returning web visitors (~50) with the RSS subscribers (~250), the Twitter followers (~160), the friends on Facebook (~700) and Networked Blogs (~130). I guess I give you enough value daily, weekly or monthly to cause you to keep following me. But I think that value could be much better. I try to figure out what content you are looking for, but it is all guesswork. I know you are there, but other than that I know hardly anything.

Occasionally a reader turns to me with a question or a recommendation. And almost always I turn that into a post - assuming that if one readers speaks, there must be more that kept silent about it. If I cannot give a reply, I bet that among the 500 followers somebody else could. So if we were to make this blog more interactive, it could be much more valuable for all of us. Hence I have decided to actively try to achieve that.

Over the past weeks I reported I had a writer's block for the blog. I was looking for a new challenge, and more interaction is the challenge I got myself excited about. I will be posting more questions in order to get you to respond, I will post more instructional posts about issues I know or suspect you struggle with (I' ll be listing a set of useful tools for podcast listeners soon) and I will let you know of other ways you can determine the content of this blog (a.o. there will be a new 'report a podcast' method soon). I hope you are going to be as excited about it as I am.

Attempts at more interactions so far:
Help a fellow podcast listener,
Who knows Russian Podcasts,
Help for podcast listeners.

Upcoming:
Who knows more podcasts about (the history of) India?
Looking for recommended poetry podcasts,
Who listens to Swedish podcasts?
Who listens to Spanish podcasts?
More technical tips for podcast listeners and readers of this blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, While I read almost all of your posts, I find the "How To" articles most interesting. Many of us don't have the web skills and simple easy to follow directions are gratefully received.

As a teacher I know that if one student asks a question, then several students also have that question but don't ask. If a reader asks about a specific topic, chances are more readers also want to know about it.

I don't know if you would want to have a forum or not. It would certainly increase your interaction.

Semper Pax, John

Anne the Man said...

Exactly my reasoning.

Actually, there IS a forum that I share with DIY Scholar and a couple of others at "the podcast parlor" http://podcastparlor.ning.com/
There is also a Facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105812758439

Anne

Julia said...

Hi Anne, I just found your site via the New Books in History site, which I have been happily listening to... This is just an off-the-cuff response to the subject of writers block:

When you can't think of anything to write, start writing about how you can't think of anything to write or whatever else you're thinking about not having anything to write or wanting to write but you can't, etc., etc. It's amazing how quickly something substantive starts to emerge once you get your (virtual) pen going on the (virtual) paper...


I hope that helps. I can't remember right now where I read it but it's been one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've ever gotten, or at least it works for me! A new, excited listener/reader, Julia

Anne the Man said...

Hi Julia,
welcome to the blog. I am really excited you are here.
The tip you give regarding writer's block is one I have heard about some 15 years ago. This post is one of the results of writing about the block.
Thanks for the tip and I hope to be able to serve you with good podcasting tips.
Cheers,

Anne

Jon and Diana said...

Anne

A tool I would really appreciate is a selection of the 'best ever' podcasts. My belief is that it doesn't much matter what the subject is, if the teacher is brilliant, it will be very interesting. A section on the website that pointed to the best ever podcasts would help my podcast choices.(For example the Donald Kagan series would be in my list). Is this a possibility?

Thanks

Jon