Thursday, October 30, 2008

Suggestion for the advanced podcast listener

Under the label Instructions, I try to compile a set of help posts, giving some guidance to listening to podcasts and more. The first four are a quick guide for the beginner:

1- listen on line
2- download audio files
3- get iTunes
4- put feeds in iTunes

The next post I made, explains about RSS. This mainly showed how you can sign-up with an RSS reader (Google reader) and start following this blog.
5- RSS readers

However, Google Reader, for me, is also a great tool to follow podcasts. I think the advance podcast listener runs into a couple of problems when working with iTunes only. I know of other people. who stopped using iTunes and aggregate their podcasts in another reader, such a Juice. For me, since I use an iPod, iTunes still has great merit and what it lacks, I compensate with Google Reader.

The greatest problem with iTunes lies in the fact it is not designed to handle a huge amount of podcast feeds. Podcasts are listed alphabetically and when the list gets long, your overview is gone. Other RSS readers, though, allow one to create folders and organize the feeds therein. This is how I use Google Reader.

In Google reader I enter all podcasts I intend to follow (and there hundreds of those), ordered in folders, according to my preferences. This is how I know there is a new podcast out. I can even listen through Google Reader, with the help of a plugin. If I decide this podcast is worth listening, I copy the feed into iTunes and download the specific episode.

In iTunes I try to maintain as few feeds as possible. Also, I change the settings thus that iTunes never downloads an episode unless I say so (the default setting is to download the newest episode). And so, through my RSS reader I get a first impression of the feeds and in iTunes I enter only those I want to listen to.

Occasionally, I enter a feed in iTunes first. In order to make sure Google Reader is always synchronized, I will frequently export my feeds in an OPML from iTunes to the RSS reader. If you right click the podcast folder 'export song list...' is the option that allows you to save an OPML on your PC. Afterwards you can import this OPML to any RSS reader.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 comments:

Kate said...

I don't use ITunes (because I don't have an Ipod ipod but a regular MP3 player and ITunes drives me insane). But I had a sudden epiphany on how you may be able to simplify your system.

Google Reader allows you to star items (or tag them or share them) and you can turn any of these (starred, shared, or any tag or folder) into their own feeds in the settings.

So, assuming ITunes has the ability to follow any podcast feed, you should be able to have it follow one of your Google Feeds (say, starred, or a feed tagged "IPOD" and have it automatically download anything in that feed.

That way you should be able to easily control from within Google Reader - as you're reviewing your feeds - what IPod downloads.

Anne the Man said...

Hi Kate,

that sounds like a brilliant suggestion. A quick look into Google Reader did not show me how I can turn my starred or shared items into a feed. Should you have any additional information on that matter, I'll appreciate it a lot.

And thanks a lot for commenting,

Anne

Kate said...

Oh it's not hard.

You go into "Manage subscriptions" (The link at the bottom of your folder list).

Then select the "Folders and Tags" setting.

There you get a list of your folders and tags - at the very top is the starred items, then the shared items.

Pick which you want to make a feed out of (I'd go with a special tag just for downloads, unless you're not already using your starred folder). And toggle the public/private icon (a striped wedge) to make it public - you're going to have to make it public to make a feed out of it and for ITunes to read it.

Then click "view public page" for that tag. On that page you will see a link to the atom feed. I'm assuming ITunes can read atom feeds, right? If not you just thread it through feedburner and flip it to whatever format you want.

Oh, and thanks so much for this blog - I've already added a few dozen new podcasts to Google Reader - and they're GOOD. You're seriously enhancing my quality of life :)

Anne the Man said...

Hey Kate,

I have tried it and it works! All of the favorite podcasts in ONE feed. This way I can also have other people subscribe to this feed and push my recommendations to them!

This is the most ingenious find!

With suggestions like this, I must make you honorary member of the team.
By all means, feel free to contact me on mail, twitter, Facebook or wherever and take up conversation.

Anne

רן לוי said...

Hi, Anne, Kate-
I just discovered your suggestions, and they are indeed ingenious! I am a long-time user of Google Reader and iTunes, and this way to combine them both is just fantastic. Thanks for the tip!
Ran

Anne the Man said...

Hi Ran,

Be aware that there is a limitation as to how many items you can stick in a podcast feed thru Reader. The maximum should be 25, but I have seen feeds cut off at 15 and have had readers complain they would get only the top 12 in the feed to iTunes.
Be aware that also Huffduffer can be used to create your won feeds. I find Huffduffer more user friendly for this purpose than Google Reader

Anne